Sunday, February 5, 2012

Good, but not great.

I traveled to Moscow, ID this weekend to compete in the University of Idaho's Vandal Indoor meet. I had never been there before and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the setup was; big new pit, raised runway, and nice standards. I traveled down with some of my training partners to get a better mark for USA Indoor Nationals and it went pretty well.
I had great warm-ups again, but I decided to start a little low (16'7.5") so I wouldn't get a no height. I ended up clearing that bar on my second attempt, then made 17'1.5" on my second attempt, then cleared 17'7.25" on my third attempt. Finally, a new PR! However, I was barely able celebrate it because I have been jumping higher than that for quite some time now and it just felt like a bar that I had no reason not to make. I was/am happy to have up'd my personal record, but I am not content yet.

I took a couple okay jumps at 17'11.25", but by then my technique was falling apart due to fatigue. I realized that starting as low as I did and taking quite a few warm-up jumps left me with very little reserve for the high bars, the ones that matter the most. So what I am taking away from this meet is a new PR of 5.37m and a realization that I need to save some energy for the end of the competition.
By the way here is a video of my warm-up jump with the standards set at 18'6", however it is a bungee that is hanging down a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are right it is just a matter of time before you get a good one lined up at the right height. Sounds like you took some very valuable information away at this meet. I am looking forward to seeing how you do at your next meet!

    ReplyDelete