Saturday, February 11, 2012

Guts = Glory

This weekend I decided to try something new. I talked to my twin brother Jacob after the last meet and we agreed that starting low when I am having great warm-ups is a waste of energy. He also expressed to me his regret for never having opened at a PR or a really high bar in a high jump competition. So at the end of the conversation I agreed to open at a minimum of 18' this weekend just to see what it was like and also because I felt I had a good chance of making it.
Well, when I got to the meet I saw the bar progression went from 5.48m(17'11.75") to 5.53m(18'1.75") so in keeping my promise I passed to 5.53m. The top pole vaulter's in the world can open at this height no problem, however it is 6" higher than any bar I have ever cleared and to give some perspective, it is higher than the opening bar of the 2008 Olympic finals. Being extremely nervous and choking in the moment was a strong possibility, but instead I came into the meet with confidence. I have felt like I have the ability to jump 18+ for some time now, but I have only attempted 18' in one meet in my entire career. And if you want to make a bar you have to be jumping at it. So that is what I did.
My first attempt went well, too well and I blew through my 5m 13.8 pole. So I moved up to the 5m 13.5 for the second attempt and had an okay jump. I regained my focus for the third attempt and it was much better, but I knocked the bar off on the way down. Bummer...but the video gave me a real confidence boost, but you can decide for yourself. I feel like an Olympic Trials qualifier is within reach now.

2 comments: