Monday, March 19, 2012

Back in the Groove

It has been a little while since my last post, but there hasn't been much going on to write about. My last indoor meet was the UW Last Chance Qualifier and it ended the same way all of my other home meets did, with a no height. I had been staying mentally tough this year, even though I had not vaulted to my potential I didn't let it get me down...until the last meet. After "no height"ing more times in one season than I had in my entire career I gave in to the anger and frustration that had been trying to creep in. My confidence was shaken and I felt as though I didn't have the willpower necessary to break though to the next level. After stewing for a couple days I started to think clearly again and made a plan to recharge for the outdoor season. I decided to focus on getting injury free, strong, and fast while holding off on vault practice for a couple weeks. My feet, knees, and back had taken a beating indoors and I was due for some rehab and rest. After some recuperation I began lifting more frequently again and did my first vault practice after a 2-1/2 week break. It was very productive, I was like Liam Neeson in the movie Taken, just on a mission to kick ass. I had total focus during my jumps and was able to get on a 16' 205lb pole from 6 lefts, which was a new landmark for me. My technique was better than it had been all season and now my confidence is renewed. I am really pumped to compete in Stanford on April 7th, my first outdoor meet of the year. Hopefully I will have some good results to report and maybe even a little tan! Until next time, this is Levi signing out.

1 comment:

  1. Every one needs a little "down" time, even you super atheletes!I can tell you're up and kickin' butt again, (sometimes your own....lol) Good luck in April, keep the faith...!

    Luv ya,
    Aunt Midg

    ReplyDelete