Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Great Practice + Video

Just a quick update on my training progress. I have much less knee pain now and had an awesome practice today. I took a couple vaults from 4 lefts on a 15' 13.0 pole and then moved back to 6 lefts. From 6 I blew through all the 16' poles including the 205lb (14.6), so I decided to head back to full approach and take a couple jumps on 5m poles.
I decided to do a little confidence test by taking my first full approach run on a bigger pole than I have ever started on, even in a meet. So I grabbed the 5m 13.8 and ran down the runway and planted it. I got stood up, but I knew I was in good shape so I moved the bar up to 18' and went back to take another jump. When I stepped on the runway I took a couple deep breaths with my eyes closed and focused on 2 cues. This is how I prepare for jumps in a meet. Then I opened my eyes, picked up my pole, and took off down the runway. I planted the pole and swung hard at which point I knew it was going to be good. When I pushed off the pole and went over the bar I realized it was my cleanest 18' jump I had ever had and I roared in celebration. My training partners all high-fived me and we immediately watch the replay on the TiVo. My technique wasn't great, but I still cleared it with authority and gained a huge amount of confidence for the outdoor season. I knew I had what it would take to make the Olympic Trials, but now I believe a spot on the Olympic team is in the possible realm. Here is the video of my jump today:

4 comments:

  1. Duuude...that was a big one. You've really come a long way since ISU! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOOM! That's what I'm talking about!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Booo Yaaaa, I love how steady you are with everything, really good to see. Good things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME LEVI!! I've always believed you could do it, now I have to figure out how to "hitchike" to the Olympics to watch...I KNOW YOU'LL BE THERE!STAY STRONG, HEALTHY, AND FOCUSED! Love ya, A.Midg

    ReplyDelete