Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Breakthrough

     Over the last couple weeks I traveled down to southern California to compete at the Olympic Training Center (OTC). I spent about 12 days down there because I knew I would get to vault in great weather with high caliber athletes, a combination that would produce good results. My first meet on a Thursday at the OTC was good but not great. I made my opening bar of 17'7", but then failed to put up good jumps at 18'1.25". I decided to drive up to Mt. SAC in L.A. on Saturday to try again, but it was too soon after my previous meet and I was too fatigued to jump well. I ended that meet with a no height (NH). I decided to skip the next meet at Mt. SAC on Tuesday because I wanted to be more recovered for the next OTC meet.
     Later that week on Thursday my patience paid off as I was able to compete with more energy and less pain than the last competition. I opened at 17'7" again and then moved to 5.52m or 18'1.25". I kept taking off too far under throughout the competition, somewhere between 11'11" and 12'4". I was gripping at 16'2" so my takeoff should have been around 13'6", but I just couldn't get my feet down fast enough and my back was taking a beating because of it. Despite the poor takeoff spot I managed to use the biggest pole of my career thus far, a 5m 13.1 UCS Spirit and it felt great. I cleared 18'1.25" on my second attempt which provisionally qualified me for the Olympic Trials. As soon as I let go of the pole I knew I was going to make it and roared in celebration! It felt so exhilarating and relieving to clear that barrier of 18'. Jumping 18' was my career goal, the only thing I felt I needed to do in order to retire from the sport with no regrets, and I did it! As I walked off the pit I silently thanked the Lord for such an opportunity and high-fived my friends. I then had the bar raised to 5.62m or 18'5.25" but was unable to clear it. I kept hitting the gas too early and by the time I planted the pole I was out of steam and got stood up. I decided to do the next meet at Mt. SAC for fun, but NH'd again. This time however I opened at 18'1.25" and ended up blowing through the biggest poles in my bag, so I wasn't phased by the lack of a clearance.
     Now I am back in Seattle and playing the recovery game where I don't vault or do any high intensity workouts for a little while. My next meet is the Donovan Bailey Invitational in Edmonton, Canada. It will be my last competition before the Olympic Trials in Eugene, OR and will serve as a tune-up meet. I hope my mark holds up and gets me into the trials since they only take 24 athletes and I am tied for 19th. If I do make it into the Olympic Trials I will give U.S. track fans something to cheer for!

1 comment:

  1. Just got to read your blog on this...Levi, I am so very proud of you, as a person, man, and of course...athlete!! I KNOW you will make it, you have so much heart and spirit...

    Love you..Aunt Midg

    ReplyDelete